In This Section
The Housing and Opportunity Foundation of Kern completed another successful year serving the community of Kern County. Some of the programs and services the Foundation was able to support in 2019 included:
- The STEM program completed another successful year. 100 children attended the weekly sessions and 31 children attended Camp Keep.
- $9,000 was allocated to educational scholarships which were presented to 12 recipients at the annual awards banquet.
- A new youth program launched in partnership with, “Caught Up the Intervention Game”. This unique board game helps youth consider the impact of gangs and the violence they spread. It is a tool to help young people make healthier choices in their lives.
- 4 small business loans were awarded through the Wise Investments Now program.
- 75 participants attended the annual FSS Conference.
- Renewed the My Financial Academy program to provide literacy courses.
- 5 households were assisted through the Helping Hands program which provided financial assistance for emergent needs.
- Jessica’s Christmas provided 130 food baskets, 119 Christmas gifts to children, and 332 gifts to seniors.
- The Senior Food Pantry continues to provide needed groceries to low-income seniors at our Plaza Towers site.